Monday, August 10, 2009

Ibiza. What do you eat with that?



Back when I was a young aviation pup, 6 years ago or so, I had a professor who flew for NetJets, a company who flies around pretty people. We had the opportunity to go see one of their downed craft over at McCarren, on the side where all the pretty peoples' pretty jets sit (and where I was mere minutes away from seeing Brad Pitt at one point in time). Anyway, the jet this "professor" flew was a Gulfstream IV, hereby known as a G-IV, aka, my baby. It was propped up on jacks but it was there, waiting for me to exhale. He instructed us so each take a few minutes, climb in and check it out. I was amazed and felt blessed upon. As I lowered myself into the very cozy but somewhat militaristic seat, cogs were turning and dreams being made (as a cloud building, if you will). That was for you Beck.




That was thee very first corporate jet I ever sat in, and was nearly my last until by some divine happening brought me back into the game. Ever since that moment, I have been in love with my baby, and have aspired to one day fly it. I always have had trouble identifying when some thing would be enough, you know, when I 'made it". But in this world, flying that jet would be it for me. I could at that moment die truly happy.

Throughout the day and from some conversations that took place, my motivation has been renewed, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have real hope that one day I too could push a button and fly the plane. Opportunities are coming, and hard work may just pay off.

I see jets often, big ones, little ones, ones that make me drool. I'll look at a seemingly size able and capable jet and think its big. But this morning when there was a very sizable and capable one on the tarmac sitting next to my baby, there was no comparison, the G-IV is a monster. I judge jets by engine size and whether I could sleep in the engine compartment, usually a single sleeper.


I deduced this morning my baby could sleep a family of four and a half. Dog included.



... and that little winglet is about as tall as I am.

You just can't trust rookie photographers...


Anything that cruises at 450kts and can put me up to 8 miles above mother earth, I'm down. And VIPs, with that new job and all, you guys could easily afford $36mil, right? Ibiza, here we come!


BTW, Blanding, UT
Durango, CO
Monument Valley, AZ

Misplaced paragraphs, I don't care.

1 comment:

The VIPs said...

#1. Totally knew this post was about airplanes before I saw the pictures or translated it into Word. Because it's written by you and you have a slight obsessive problem with airplanes.

#2. I would have commented on this obvious fact sooner but I have been in Twin Falls at a wedding.

#3. I cannot afford a jet. And if I could I would keep it for myself, but I would hire you to fly it for me and take me to fabulous exotic locations.

#4 I spilt chocolate frosty ice cream from Wendy's on my shirt on the way home tonight. Eating melty ice cream in the dark is difficult.